Monday, March 12, 2007

Who needs new tokens?

So today I was at Finch Station, heading into the subway in the morning to go down to work. The TTC agent had the gate open, and passengers could enter and pay in a quicker manner than going through the turnstiles as they can most weekday rush hours in the mornings. The TTC agent was conversing with another individual, and not looking at the fare box. If you've ever wondered if you could get away with throwing in less than normal fare, let me tell you from my experience this morning, that you can.

My token was in my pocket, and as I entered the gate, I reached into my pocket, grabbed the "token", and put it in the fare box. Except that it made a different clinking noise than usual as it dropped. That's when I looked back and noticed that it was just a penny! The TTC agent didn't even notice, as he was busy in conversation, and the passengers behind me didn't say anything. A noise of surprise ("Oh") escaped from my mouth, and then I reached back into my pocket, found the real token, and then turned back to deposit it into the fare box. I'm sure I could have walked on after only paying 1/210 of the price of the true fare, but I couldn't.

3 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger Rose Petal said...

How honourable! I thought you were a metropass user? :P

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger LZ said...

With the new transferable Metropass, everyone can be a metropass user :P

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger denise said...

I can also confirm that sometimes they aren't looking. There was this one time during highschool, I looked directly into the eyes of the TTC collector at Bay station, made the motion of putting my fare in the fare box but stopped short of dropping my fare (i.e no clinking noise). And then I kept on going...

I don't know what I was thinking...guess I was trying to be a rebel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home