Monday, July 16, 2007

I wonder which of the 7 Wonders...

... of the new world that I have visited, and what's left to go. On July 7, 2007, the New 7 Wonders of the World were announced in Lisbon, Portugal (a place I want to visit!). I hadn't really paid attention to the whole nomination and voting process, but after seeing the finalists and the "winners", it reminds me of all the places that I want to go visit!

The New 7 Wonders are:
  1. The Great Wall, China
  2. Petra, Jordan
  3. Christ Redeemer, Brazil
  4. Machu Picchu, Peru (which I just visited after a four day hike on the Inca Trail!)
  5. Chichen Itza, Mexico (visited during Cancun 2003)
  6. The Roman Colosseum, Italy
  7. The Taj Mahal, India (I can't believe I've been to India twice, but still haven't been!)

Of the 14 other finalists, I have been to three of the places (the Alhambra, Spain; the Eiffel Tower, France; and the Sydney Opera House, Australia). I could potentially cheat and say I've been to the Statue of Liberty in the USA too, but I haven't actually been close to it or gone to Liberty Island, so I guess I can't count it.

But what really intrigues me are all the places I still have to go! The New 7 Wonders of the World and the finalists make for an awesome list of things to do. Can't wait... although it's dispiriting to think that even if I take one big vacation each year, it will take a really long time to complete this list.... I guess that's even more motivation to think of a way to retire sooner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home